Re: The Windows 10 New World Order

+1 to Nocturnus. Convenience makes people lazy and very passive
Well, I bitched about windows’s accessibility on another topic in this forum and yet, for the second time, got told that Narrator is as good as to help you open internet explorer and download NVDA. However, how can a 20 year old company lag so much behind accessibility that it can’t come anywhere close to the standards. The law orders every public company that is implemented on computers or mobile phones to be accessible to all categories of people, sighted, visually impaired, blind, or def. Just like the theatre for the def which was set up years ago and gave access to those who couldn’t enjoy a funny comedy like we do. Just like the sign language which was created around 100 years ago and helped def people communicate with each other, hence they could make the difference between “I was to the theatre last night, and I will go to the theatre tomorrow.”
In my opinion, I believe that accessibility in all these companies, should have a standard exactly as policies when setting up a business where if you do not meet the requirements, you cannot start. What’s wrong with Microsoft? We are even paying for it. If you upgrade from windows 7 to 8.1 you need to pay, and by the end of a year after the release of windows 10, you will need to pay as well. Microsoft has a screen reader that is hardly usable, which takes 5 seconds to focus on a window, and if you try navigating quickly like you do with jaws or NVDA, you lose focus and you will be forced to press alt+tab, slowly, and very “politely” because it may not work. What’s more, narrator has a set of commands, which requires a person to be a new born Einstein to memorise them. Well, people may still argue, if you feel unhappy with it, download and use NVDA. Alright, this may be true, but I am talking about what comes in the first place when you buy your computer. Narrator is even incapable of accessing windows’s built-in programs, let alone thinking about using another program from another company with it. In android or apple, I have a built-in screen reader which lets me perform more than basic tasks and there is no point in comparing them to narrator, since you cannot use Narrator to surf the web, log in to facebook, or access external programs of the device. Furthermore, even screen readers built for us cannot fully access programs or areas of windows. What’s works with jaws doesn’t work with NVDA, and vice-virsa. Going even further, certain programs that we use daily crash so often and you end up out of speech, forced to power off your system which may lead to serious problems on your computer. Tell me, what can you do when a program is crashed and you can’t open, neither jaws, neither NVDA nor the bloody narrator!
So, I think windows, as a computing platform is very low nowadays and lower it’ll get if things do not change. My language isn’t supported by Voiceover on Mak and there is not actually a TTS which covers it, otherwise I’d go ahead and buy a mak device and get outa windows once and forever.