Re: Are companies controlling their users?

I don't know if I would have picked the word manufacture to describe what your friend was talking about, but if I understood the core component of her argument correctly, she wanted to make copies of the software that she purchased for personal use only. if that's right, I can agree to a point. In some places, even taking a CD and putting it onto your computer to listen to it is technically illegal. This is just stupid, in my opinion, because you're not harming anyone, you're just ensuring that you don't lose the music that you paid for with your own money. What does it matter what medium you've purchased it in? If you have to go out and purchase it again, who's actually profitting? I understand that with software, it's somewhat different, but as Nocturnus said, it's a really complex topic with so many angles to consider that it's hard to even know where to begin to dissect it.