Re: Rode to rage map exchange.

I already have extracted allot of the best war audio for my own eventual projects, good idea though, it's just that I'd probably be using them for something more critical.
Also, I don't know if it would be right to use it in a game either, maybe stuff from training, but real, brutal battles would be rather unfair to all of the people that died, weather they deserved it or didn't, which isn't something that I think any imperfect human has the rite to decide.  But I do know that no airstrike, artillery barrage, or close quarters shootout is selective and precise enough to totally avoid the possibility of maiming or killing noncombatants, civilian women, children, and those who are sick/wounded, disabled or elderly.
So even though it's undeniably awesome to hear an A10 firing it's 20MM autocannon at such speed that the depleted uranium rounds actually break the sound barrier before the gun is even heard to fire, or to wonder at how qu iet an M107 50 caliber sniper rifle really is when it reaches out to touch someone standing a mile and a half away, or to imagine what it would be like to rip through an entire 48 round belt of 40MM grenades with the MK19 automatic grenade launcher on the back of a Stryker AFV; you still have to face the fact that all of those stray bullets, every bit of shrapnel, flying debris, even computer guided bombs; could still utterly ruin someone else's life, weather it be an enemy soldier, who may just be a scared kid drafted against his will by his government to fight in a war he wants nothing to do with, or a young mother who is on her way out of this place, in order to become a scientist that could help to cure cancer in a first world research lab.

I don't mean to ramble on about this, but it's something that I've had to figure out for my self; and while I still like to play wargames such as RTR, Swamp, and TOC, and I research the history of firearms from the late 1800s to now so that I can help to create fictional weapons for games, I also find my self sickened and ashamed by some of the documentaries that run on the American history and discovery channels, that seem to glorify war with high def explosions and fireballs, well armored helicopter gunships destroying tanks with Hellfire missiles, and loud rock music playing over it all, while the real connotation is that people would actually be bleeding out on the street, being blown off of the tops of buildings in chunks, and burning to death inside mobile metal boxes.  It doesn't matter who is the bad guy, it's not nearly as clear cut as it is in Hollywood when your in the real world, in the dust and the smoke and the noise of gunfire and people screaming as they see friends and family members die in front of them.
And to be honest, listening to those videos only strengthened my conviction that war really is hell, and also that there is a very small difference b etween a rebel fighter firing his AKM into the air on full auto while screaming Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar! and a group of American soldiers cheering and highfiving each other as an F16 drops a 500 pound bomb on a house full of pissed off old farmers armed with rifles and having nothing left to lose!

Still, I will certainly consider making something realistic with the high quality range recordings from Sound Ideas, The Boom Library, and The BBC Library; unless someone beats me to it of course, because I think that would be cool too, too bad you can't properly mod the weapons though because they aren't very realistic them selves. big_smile
I'm also writing up some documentation on how to use the map maker, just hitting a snag because of the differences between the offline and online versions, especially the way they handle custom sounds.