Laws about composing music?

Hi all,
  so I've recently been messing with qws, because I want to compose some music for my games and such.
  That said, I have some concerns. Obviously, I don't download and check out every instrumental track there is, so I have no idea what they sound like. And I don't play mainstream games, so I definitely, don't, know what those music loops sound like.
  So my real question is this: if I were to compose music for my games, and it happened to sound (nearly) exactly like someone else's music, how would I avoid getting in trouble for that? What should I do to insure people would know I composed it and didn't take someone else's and mod it a bit?