Re: When is the last time anyone has read a braille book?

Hmm, I guess 2005 was the last time for me, because I had to take Braille classes from a TVI even though I was in mainstream school. It was a way to get around the school's language requirement, even though they explained that braille wasn't in itself a language, they still said it was good enough. I knew braille of course, and that just kept it up for me. I am not fast at reading braille, but I am not a total either, and I wonder if its because the vision that I do have sort of blocks it a bit. They've already found that a totally blind person's visual cortex re-wires itself to do other things, which is where this theory of mine comes from, but that's a tangent and I digress.

I do support braille for literacy's sake, because speech isn't a total solution, and no, its not worth arguing with me over, I don't see speech as a total solution and I never will. Even its what I use now. I learned braille, and thus, I can prove I can read in a n equivalent way in which a sighted person can. I feel like if you don't know braille, you've never read, and you're not literate. Yes, you can listen, and comprehend, and make inferences and all of that, but its not the same. I am glad for having learned braille. And I know some people might fly off the handle for that last statement, and it wasn't meant to offend, but you don't learn grammar and proper spelling from speech alone.