Handling building blocks in games?

Hi all,
I may be going at this wrong. Who knows. But in my game, I'd like to make blocks. These blocks would be made up of building material, each of them taking up just one unit. For example, a building material placed at 10, 10, 10, would only take up the square 10, 10, 10. The reason I'd like to go about it this way would be to simulate almost real building, I.E. when things blow apart, they go into fragments, some of which could be collected again.
  However. Doing this would require the creation of arrays with thousands of elements, especially for large structures. I at first didn't think this would be a bad idea, since game developers creating object oriented maps, I.E. An array of tyles, can end up with 10 thousand elements in their array.
  Is this a bad approach? Is there something else I should rather do?