Re: Reasons for getting a Raspberry Pi

You love systemd? What are you, sick? smile

I can't stand systemd. I get why people want it, mostly process supervision, but I really think systemd is an appalling example of creeping featuritis, only now it's in the very core of your OS. Yes, sysvinit has issues, but they are solved by writing an alternative init system that provides process supervision, not trying to replicate Microsoft Windows. smile

Anyway, my answer has been the Mac Mini, running Linux. It's probably overkill, but I love that it's also a Mac, is an amd64-based system, and has the processor grunt to do anything you could realistically throw at it in your home server role. I use Debian, mostly because I want to spend as little time messing with it as possible and Debian has a very comprehensive re pository. It's a very minimal textmode system with no C compiler installed on it.

Yes, standard comments apply for all living-room Linux setups. I don't have a graphical stack, and I already have Apple TV so no need of an alternative interface. However, you will wish to set up all of the necessary file-serving support to get access from a web browser (Chrome OS), SMB (Linux, Win, Mac) and--only if you require a Time Machine server--AFP (Mac). Optionally, turn the device into your Internet gateway (good if you want IPv6, QoS, filtering, logging, etc), mail server, web server, recursive DNS services (including ad-blocking), get-iplayer client, torrenter, downloader, uploader, mirror fetcher, URL watcher, remote backups, etc etc etc. You really can just do whatever the sodding hell you want, and it'll all run quietly and cooly in the background, awaiting your command.