Re: Problem with Orca and Speech-dispatcher in ArchLinux

Hi,

I actually prefer PulseAudio. because it gives me much better control over volumes on an app-by-app basis, and I can also use Bluetooth headphones, or route audio from another wired or wireless device to my computer.
It is a pain to get working, though. The main problem is that PulseAudio isn't supposed to be run as root, but espeakup is run as root, so it can't connect to the Pulse server running under your user.
So far, the simplest solution I've been able to come up with is to:
1: write a udev rule that changes permissions on the softsynth device so that the users group can write to it

(In a file such as /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules)
# Change ownership and permissions on softsynth device
KERNEL=="softsynth", GROUP=="users", MODE="0660"

2: set up sudo to allow passwordless start/stop of the Espeakup service
3: have bash stop the system-wide Espeakup service and start a new one as my user on login.
Without those steps, Espeakup won't run under Pulse, and Pulse won't be able to play sounds while Espeakup is talking.