Re: Let's code!

Sam shut the folder down? Damn. But then I saw that coming. Depends on your definition of "crap", that "crap" might be someone's project.

A working group of developers might be a pain to organize, especially with the egos we have in the blind developers community (sorry guys feel free to prove me wrong). That and I believe that programming is an art as well as a science (controversial I know). Judging programming is always going to be subjective. Even in big organizations, people have to fall back to coding standards docs and the like to keep people in line. If coding could just be classified objectively as good or bad, there'd be no need, but it's more nuanced than that.

One objective result that can be measured is output, though. Who comes out with a game that is not only fun and the like, but is working, stable and such. Maintainability is obviously a bonus, but again, hard to measure. Very important if you want your project to g o on for a long time though.

I was talking with my boss about this not too long ago, about what metrics you can apply to measure a programmer's performance. We concluded that you can't really, not in a way that can't be gamed and abused. I'm still interested in the competition idea, or any kind of collaboration (there's not nearly enough of that in this community). Just worth baring all this in mind.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : truecraig via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ross via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Muhammad Hajjar via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sam_Tupy via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : blink_wizard via Audiogames-reflector