Re: Goodbye Windows XP, i still get nistalgic over you.

Yep, basically what Chris said.

Win7 is the new XP basically because people are sticking with the worst of a bad bunch. I agree, Vista service pack 2. Better to move to Win8.1 with Classic Shell; then you can get everything Windows has to offer. Only it's still Windows ...

XP is old and obsolete, but it still works. It won't die, because for a lot of people it still manages to tick all the boxes. All these intentional XP refuseniks have simply concluded that there is nothing in yonder Windows upgrade direction. Developers are tired of supporting XP's antiquated APIs, and are simply forcibly removing support for it, following Google's lead. I don't blame them at all, but given that XP is still filling a need for some people, I'd say it was rather unfortunate. I wonder how long Firefox will hold out.

Apple obsolete operating systems faster because back-compatibility isn't the same priority it is in the WinTel world. Yes, there wer e more releases, and yes, those releases were tied to certain hardware, at the earliest, which means that new hardware pushes you onto a new release. But ultimately, Apple are simply quite ruthless in dropping obsolete software. They don't want to be lumbered with supporting it. In the case of OS X (or MacOS) that's not such a big deal because Apple doesn't change everything, again, every five minutes. But it also means that if your hardware is no longer supportable with newer software due to an architecture change, well, you're SOL. It is here that Windows, with its ever-lasting compatibility, comes in handy. Or did--it's not clear to me that contemporary Windows is, in fact, so different from OS X, anyway.