Re: Dell XPS 13 or Macbook Pro 13

Funny this topic should come up, I was only just now reading about the Dell XPS line, probably because of the revamped MacBook and people comparing them. From those, at least, I'd say Mac because it's clear Apple care about build quality where Dell are still making compromises left, right and centre. The apologists on the opposing side, of course, argue that machines nowadays are disposable and with the outlay you could just keep replacing your machine. You should choose accordingly, but based on my preferences and my computing estate (all Mac), I'd say Mac, even if you run Windows on it.

But wait for WWDC, first. That's due next on June 13. At that time, it is rumoured, Apple will put out some new shiny-shiny. Caution: likely Haswell, which would mean you were exposed to Microsoft's forced end-of-support on Win7/8/8.1.

As for Apple and the increasingly mediocre accessibility of OS X: I think there's some truth in this, sadly. There is a d ecided slowness of pace for accessibility-related bug fixes, and even I am starting to have difficulty endorsing the Mac without adding in the appropriate caveats and "Buyer beware!". I like to think that this is simply the overall neglect of OS X following Apple's obvious change of direction, rather than accessibility specifically, but nevertheless it's quite noticeable to those of us who've been around on the Mac platform for a while. This is expressed well by this piece on AppleVis and the subsequent commentary. My main machine is using Yosemite just to get activities working, and I have Windows VMs on standby so I can do all the things. It's still not enough of a reason for me to stop endorsing these wonderful machines, and it's not throwing your money away as long as you can run Windows on them and OS X's virtues extend well beyond accessibility anyway (show me your system-wide spell checker, Windows apologists!), but for the use cases provided it's not a question of which software but which hardware, and for my money Mac is the clear winner here (again). Obviously, a Windows machine is more than capable of doing PDF viewing and Word doc editing, and there's no question that the Windows solutions to these problems are both excellent. So really, you're looking to personal preferences and what you think you'll appreciate rather than actual necessity. As others have said, the combination of OS X and Windows on great hardware is awesome, and it's why I'm still using Macs. OS X is still solid, Windows shines brightly on Macs or in virtual machines, Macs are built to last (I have yet to see any OEM come close--you'd have to self-build to match it), and as a blind user you'll enjoy more independence than you ever could with a WinTel device. JMO.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Sokun Prom Vireak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mario navarro via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Zersiax via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : FamilyMario via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : FamilyMario via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : roelvdwal via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : leibylucwgamer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : nin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : blindncool via Audiogames-reflector