Re: Message to the audio games community

Figment: Lets call a spade a spade. No where has Valve declared its unwillingness to modify the Steam client to comply with accessibility guidelines, so I'll take issue with your declaration that the company is refusing to accommodate. It may not be a top priority update, it may not be part of its current plans, and we may not even see it for a while, but there are no statements that I know of where they outright refuse to try and conform to accessibility standards. Lets take Sony and Microsoft as examples. We never expected accessibility features for their console platforms, and yet they appeared. The same could happen with Steam in the future.

Valve's lack of response to the change.org petition does not constitute a statement of refusal -- I'm sure that many, many other change.org petitions go unanswered. You can't honestly think that just because it's on change.org, people will automatically respond to or abide by it. Can you imagine the chaos if such were the case? Government to replace politicians with the currently popular celebrities in response to a change.org petition. Someone help the world.

Do I agree with Valve's dismissal of the petition? Of course not. Do I wish we would've gotten some response? Absolutely. However, we can't know that the response hasn't happened behind doors, and that a change might be in the works. Conversely, we can't know that Valve even gave the petition due process, being that it pertains to a small market footprint.

Things being what they are, Steam is still perfectly useable, if you but take the time to make a few tweaks which require no system changes or jumping through hoops -- all the changes are made to the client, or to the shortcut which launches the client.

Kai

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AudioGames - News room : aaron via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AudioGames - News room : aaron via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AudioGames - News room : FabiG94 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AudioGames - News room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AudioGames - News room : robjoy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AudioGames - News room : kithri via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AudioGames - News room : Deng via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AudioGames - News room : Figment via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AudioGames - News room : Deng via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AudioGames - News room : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AudioGames - News room : Centauri via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AudioGames - News room : seal via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AudioGames - News room : Hektor via Audiogames-reflector