Re: Oculus Rift + 3D sound

@ggunhouse
Hello and welcome to the forum.  The reason, I'd say, that you have found few references to Oculus is relatively straightforward.  The virtual reality scene, as it stands, is primarily (rightly or otherwise) focused on allowing those with sight to enjoy new and immersive experiences.  Such sympathy for the lack of experiences for blind and VI gamers in this field is, unsurprisingly, lacking.  That and the price point at which VR kits are sold is out of probably a large amount of people's budgets, especially factoring in that the equipment has (currently and as far as I'm aware) no games or experiences that can even remotely justify a purchase.

However, I commend your efforts with this concept and would be willing to try it out given the opportunity and the equipment being at an easy-to-reach price.  3d games, when they've been tried have either been very successful, relatively speaking (Papa Sangre and its sequels and Audio Defence) or only conducted as experimental projects that have not seen a full release (Extant, Demor, Radwin Island).  These are all games that use surround sound (to greater or lesser extents) but do not, as has previously been discussed on this thread, enable the player to look up and down.

I'd be curious to know what kind of experience you would be attempting to create (are you walking around and exploring, or actually achieving objectives based on finding objects etc) as this can change how the information should be conveyed in order to capture the correct feelings from the player/user (radar sounds and TTS are not always necessary, in fact as a mainstream gamer myself, I find it more interesting to explore and find things on my own rather than having my hand held as Ian Reed suggested via the aforementioned radar and TTS, though this can vary with the goals of the project).

I look forward to hearing more about this idea as well as any potential p rojects in the future.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sightless Kombat via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ggunhouse via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ggunhouse via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ggunhouse via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Ian Reed via Audiogames-reflector