Re: Oculus Rift + 3D sound

Thanks, magurp244.
Peter Meijer's project does interest me. I was thinking that the Rift might be used in combination with sounds to scan 2D paintings, similar to what the vOICe is doing, but with the sweep across the image controlled by the gaze of the viewer, so you could go back and forth over areas that interested you, for example.
I have also been following developments in the use of sonar-like technology to assist navigation in the real world. I'm thinking of projects like this:
http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs … ?id=256564
If a real-world solution ever catches on, it would make sense to transfer the same system into the virtual world. Someone accustomed to the real-world experience would then have a very familiar experience in the virtual world, and presumably would find the virtual space quite convincingly real.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ggunhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Ian Reed via Audiogames-reflector