Re: Harry potter books memories from harry potter fans

At TJT, yeah, you're probably right. The kind of fans I described in my last post certainly would not have been pleased. I wouldn't have been pleased if Harry died, either, but it would have at least been realistic.

I don't know how many of you guys have read the Animorphs series, and I don't mean to hijack this thread with Animorphs discussion, although it is my favorite series of all time, but the reason I'm bringing it up in this context is because, like the ending in Harry Potter, the ending in Animorphs was a hopeless, bleak situation littered with death and despair. Sure, it was an ending to a long and exhausting war, but it was anything but happy for those involved. And while I've definitely got quite a few bones to pick with the ending of that series as well, one thing that K.A. Applegate got right was the psychological effect that extended, often thankless battles can have on a person. Because both series were quite popular, and both fe atured teen protagonists, I feel that a comparison isn't completely out of left field here. Anyway, romances were obliterated, one of the main characters was killed, and everyone was affected, some more negatively than others, by the events that had unfolded during the course of their adolescent years. Now, sure, some fans probably only cared about the fluff to begin with. But me, I only cared about what happened at the very end, not because it had anything to do with character development or lack thereof, but because it was a really stupid plot device that shouldn't have existed.

So, as you can see, a popular series can clearly have realistic events happen to characters, while at the same time still maintain a following. Sure, with Animorphs it's sort of a cult following, but still.