Re: Question for computer programmers

Hello,
I'm not a professional programmer, but I quote a piece of text from a book I'm reading called "Think Java" that you can read free here: http://greenteapress.com/thinkjava6/html/index.html. According to this, debugging is pretty much a part of programming. Maybe you can open a notepad window and write your hypothesis about how to solve a problem, and if it worked, write the answer as well, if not, try another. It's just a suggestion, as I said, I'm not a pro. And here goes the quoted text from chapter one, hope it'll help even a little:

Debugging is like an experimental science: once you have an idea about what is going wrong, you modify your program and try again. If your hypothesis was correct, then you can predict the result of the modification, and you take a step closer to a working program. If your hypothesis was wrong, you have to come up with a new one.

Programming and debugging should go hand in hand. Don’t just write a bunch of code and then perform trial and error debugging until it all works. Instead, start with a program that does something and make small modifications, debugging them as you go, until the program does what you want. That way you will always have a working program, and it will be easier to isolate errors.