Okay. So let me put this in perspective for you:

My team is definitely a bit spread out. I'll take that one on the chin.
Spoilery
Spoileriness

But at this point I am seriously considering restarting, because here's what I've got, roughly:

Grass type starter at level 38
Owlex at level 33
Feraddae at level 25
Ratsal at level 27
Chingle at level 24
Pandourbit at level 21

Torch one-shots Feraddae guaranteed (does something like 300 damage). It has about a half-and-half chance of one-shotting Owlex and the grass-ground starter. It one-shots Ratsal and Chingle. Sometimes he'll use Ash Rain instead, but not often.

I don't know if it's set up so that the mons know the moves they're supposed to at a given level, or if their movesets are fixed (could going in there at a lower level avoid Torch?), but either way, this is sort of an ambush, and it's utterly brutal.

I am looking at running around near that jungle area fighting to get everything else up into the high 30s, and stuff is still going to get two-shotted. And anything with a type advantage is going to take twenty-odd levels before it's competitive.

This is a game-wrecker, folks. I am very, very disheartened right now.

By game-wrecker, I don't mean Aaron did something wrong, per se...though getting rid of twelve hours of work is going to upset me hugely. By game-wrecker, I mean that it's a buzzkill. It takes you out of the story because you have to grind. And of course, I suspect very strongly that when I have a group in the mid-30s to be competitive, I will probably utterly destroy the fourth gym, whenever it is I get there.
And if he's got a full team, particularly a balanced team...uh, yeah. Not nice. Not nice.

I'm gonna come out and say this, though I hinted at it before.
It's odd how in one breath a developer wants to save players from missing dialogue/missing info (which I understand), but in the next breath is willing to ambush them this way with what amounts to an unwinnable fight. Both result in potential unpleasantness for the player, but one is within the game and the other deals with the interaction with the game. I dunno.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Niklas via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : theextreme via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : ross via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : stirlock via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Trajectory via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : stirlock via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Trajectory via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : stirlock via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : stirlock via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : stirlock via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : stirlock via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : stirlock via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Aaron Baker via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Trajectory via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : stirlock via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : sanslash332 via Audiogames-reflector