Best MUD codebases for beginners

Hi. I battle with severe depression daily, and I read that artistic _expression_ could take the load off. I have frequent writer's block, and I don't have any supplies for other art forms, so I decided that I might have a go at mud building. I don't plan to open the mud to the public, I just want to take some of the load off and get some of the artistic juices flowing. I have a problem, though. I have a copy of the pre-compiled version of smaug for Windows, but the building commands seem so elaborate that I can't get my head around it. I've also experimented with coffeeMUD, but I don't have admin rights, so I can't install java and the JDK. To get to the point, I'm looking for one of two things. One, a MUD that offers several forms of artistic _expression_, without a lot of forced grinding just to access the skills. Or two, a codebase for windows that is easy to set up and easy to run, with lots of different options for designing areas as I wish . I've tried building on other people's MUDS, but my depression eats me alive and I just don't feel motivated, so I need something that's for my eyes alone. Thanks, and if this is in the wrong area, feel free to move it.