Re: Monthly chat July 2016

CAE_Jones, are you serious that they have a braille dictionary? What purpose could it serve? I can't imagine when it would have been transcribed.

Whilst looking for some information about a particular blind person, I came across this article which goes into quite some detail about Kenneth Jernigan, a former President of the NFB. That is interesting, but I shall quote below a small section from the article that goes into some detail about what the working conditions were like at the NFB's Baltimore headquarters during the '90s, when this article was written. To say that I found this paragraph a little surprising is an understatement.

"The six blind and thirty-four sighted employees must comport themselves like foot soldiers in a national movement, which means they must address their male superiors as "Sir" and never call staffers--male or female--by their first names. It's either Mr., Mrs., or Miss. Everyone refers to Jernigan as "Dr.," even though all his doctorates were honorary. Staffers must be at their desks at 8 a.m., when one of the male administrators dutifully takes attendance. No employee is allowed in the "citizens' lunchroom" between the hours of 8 and 9 a.m. and after lunch. This keeps staff members from developing unbusinesslike, chatty relationships. Lunch periods and clean-up duties are assigned. If employees spill anything on the office carpets, they are fined $10 and denied beverage "carrying privileges" for thirty days. If an employee bumps into a co-worker and either one of them spills a drink, they are both penalized. Staffers are instructed to keep their files and office doors locked when they're not in, even if they're just visiting the rest room. Employees are warned that the brass Medco keys they receive when hired are worth two weeks' pay. If they lose them, they pay for them."

I can only hope that working conditions are different now. If you want to read the full text of that article, go here (I am not sure if this link will work correctly): https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic … _vkhClYYg.