Re: Worm, a parahumans web serial

I may have to check this out once I get done with the Shannara series, it definitely sounds interesting, though it certainly has a very strange name.

As to the racist issue, whatever anyone's viewpoint might be, it does not reflect badly on the author. Fiction is just that, fiction. In general, it has nothing to do with anyone's moral code, real world views or anything even remotely involving them. It's based on the characters, not the author. And while I could see an author possibly using some of his or her own views to influence a character's development, it does not make the author an immoral person for having written it. That would be like saying that Terry Goodkind is a terrible person, just because he talks about a child's brain, heart, lungs and testicles being used in a ritual. Does the author condone these actions? Almost certainly not. Does it make the villain seem a lot more evil to do something that sick? absolutely.

However, at the end of the day, it's also the choice of the reader, whether or not they want to continue with the story. Stating your own opinion is fine, but telling everyone else their opinions are wrong, immoral and misguided is just a baby step away from the prejudice claimed to be so evil.

Sorry to resurrect a pretty harsh topic, but I like to put in my two cents on these kinds of things, and it really didn't look like anyone was trying to start a flame war to me.