Re: Timecrest: The Door major update with VoiceOver

@hanif, to close dialogs, including the settings dialog, you can either use the close button in the top right of the dialog, or use the “escape” gesture, which is a Z-shaped gesture.

@Dark, if you’re evaluating what makes the game different from others with a similar style, let me share with you some of our writing principles when creating this work of interactive fiction that we feel differentiate Timecrest from other games with a similar gameplay style.

- Choices should feel as though they impact the story. We worked hard to create different paths and interesting choices for the characters.

- Choices affect the story, but no path is the “wrong” path. A lot of the stories we see right now are a single character trying to survive a single scenario. It’s entertaining, but we were looking for something deeper. We wanted each choice to create a different journey through the game, where decisions you make in early chapters can dramatically change what happens in future chapters. A whole city may be destroyed, some characters may live or die early on, and this completely changes some scenes late in the story.

- There should be conflict, with a clear beginning, middle and end. Story structure still matters, even if your choices are changing the story.

- Character relationships matter. On our whiteboard we wrote, “Break a promise to save the world, and that character may betray you later. Follow through on that promise, and lose an opportunity, but make a new friend.”

As for the bug report, the purple overlay you’re seeing is hidden to VoiceOver users. There is a bug where if you toggle VoiceOver on and off while in the app, it might still remain on the screen. As we built accessibility, we found it was confusing that the “Buy” and “Info” buttons were located away from where you select the individual items. We prefered a design where you interact with the individual rows like in the pouch. It was an oversight that the merchant did not offer the item descriptions in the new design, and we will fix this in a future update.

Thanks for the feedback on more subtlety in the options, and we will think about that as we continue to write Timecrest.

Unfortunately, Chairman Cow is not an accessible game, and we can’t recommend it here at this time. We may revisit it in the future, but we’ve decided to prioritize all of our efforts on Timecrest and developing its story and improving it’s accessibility. Since we’re a small indie game studio (the whole company is just the two of us!) we have to make hard decisions on where we focus our effort.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : cowbunny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : hanif via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : kingzombie via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : kingzombie via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : cowbunny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : hanif via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : cowbunny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : shrike via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : dan_c via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Chris via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : kingzombie via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : cowbunny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : audiogamer101 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : kingzombie via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : stewie via Audiogames-reflector