Re: Emac Speak

Emacspeak is the complete audio desktop, using Emacs as its base. It allows one to use the Emacs software, which is a word processor for both human and computer programming languages. Emacs can also be used as a media player, email client, web browser, IRC client, FTP client, file browser, online radio program, Twitter client, Office Suite, terminal, book reader, programming environment, calculator, and even has a few games, some of which, like tetriss and tictacto, even work with Emacspeak. Now do y'all see why I make such a big deal out of it? All of these functions I listed above are completely accessible, and with the new eSpeak fixes, if text is a link, formatted differently than normal, highlighted, or if programming code is a function or something, the voice pitch is lowered or raised depending on what Emacs shows. For example, in the IRC client, the "IRC:" prompt at the bottum, where you type your text, is emphasized by Emacspeak by lowering the pitch. This lets me know that it's not a part of the output stream from the server, but the actual place where I write my text. It's just so amazing. If the port for Windows were to be updated, and the port of Emacs had Internet access, and the TTS server had pitch changing capabilities, I'd be all over it. Another cool thing about Emacspeak is the audio themes. Yep, like the audio thesems addon for NVDA, the earcons in Chromevox and Android, and the sounds in iOS, these tell things about what's going on. If a buffer, or window, closes, a sound plays. If a prompt asking a question, like if you'd like to save a file, comes up, a sound is played telling you that what just appeared is something you should act on. If you've reached the beginning or end of the buffer, a sound is played there too so you don't have to hear "blank blank blank" without knowing if you're actually at the bottom of the file or if you're just at another annoying group o f blank lines in the middle of the document, email, chat message, web page, whatever you're viewing.
So yes, Emacspeak is amazing, and beautiful software. I just wish I had a virtual machine of Arch that actually worked so I could use it. In my VmWare, the Talking arch installs fine, but after that, speakup doesn't speak, but I can make eSpeak say stuff. So I effectively don't have a screen reader.