Re: What kind of server would you recommend?

Thanks a ton for all your comments.
Regarding Windows: My plan is to host as many servers for online gaming as possible. Sound RTS, RTR and other servers regarding to audiogaming. So if those can run in Wine, Linux sounds like what I should go for.
Then I need to run a Teamtalk server, which I already have tried to run on Linux, or in Terminal on my Mac. Then I'm currently looking at an IRC server, which of course also will run in Linux.
My issue with Linux is that I don't have much experience with the terminal. This is not the commands, they are pretty easy for me to learn, since I started out with DOS as my first operating system back in the 90's. But all those different Linux systems are confusing me. I'm not sure on what Linux system I should get, and why. I don't know what I need to get it all up and running.
So, let's assume I would go for Linux. What do I exactly do to get everything up and running if I wanna make a Teamtalk server? I know how to configure a TT server, but what do I do from the very beginning? Or where can I read more about it? I assume I need to install a lot of things, but maybe it's easier than it sounds like...