Re: Swamp, zombie FPS by Aprone

Aprone, This is an amazing update server side! The game feels like it should. I think it's interesting with the new leveling and skill system you implemented because people can run around maps by making trade-offs like lower level characters. For example, a person who is level 1000 may have to sacrifice damage in a weapon for higher protection.

I have an idea for the inventory problem that I'm sure you've thought of, but I'm not sure if it would work. I'm getting the impression from your post that the client is blindly sending a message received response to the server, so what if you add in a checksum to each chunk that the server sends. For example, the server computes something like an md5 or sha-1 checksum when the client queries the server, sends them over at least 2 times to prevent corruption, then the client computes each chunk to make sure they match as it arrives? If it fails, maybe the client can request the corrupted chunk again, and for g ood measure, the checksum could be sent across the wire again. The main thing I can see that could be an issue at the moment is the processing overhead. In that case, I guess you could maybe save the hashes whenever players log out, and only change them when the client updates the inventory. That way, all the server has to do is send across the saved hashes that were previously computed, so no overhead is added to every player when connecting.

Could this work?

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Nikos via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Nikos via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Deng via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : cj89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : ross via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : livrobo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : fedai via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : darren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : ross via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : carlosM via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : flyby chow via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : darren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Nikos via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : darren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Nikos via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : flyby chow via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : darren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : The coll gamer via Audiogames-reflector