Re: Amazon echo what does it do, and what do you need?

I should have known from the cynical tone of the post that it'd be you, Dark, but I thought it was somebody else and was unsurprised when I discovered my error. In fact, as a proud cynic myself, I must say that I do believe my cynical prowess is under considerable attack from your good self. smile

I also decided against an Echo but not because I don't like the idea. If I were in your shoes I'd be glad to have it. It's just that, like you, I feel strongly about "data sovereignty". Therefore I can only really recommend that you give thought to the conveniences rather than trying to match what you already have. Sign up for Amazon Prime, which is valuable anyway for getting Amazon deliveries faster, and you can then stream whatever you want. More on that here.

You can upload to Amaz on cloud, yes, but you need software from Amazon to do it. You can't use standard filesystem operations, either; it's very specifically about uploading music, which is then identified. Moreover there's a cost if you intend to upload more than 250 songs. More info about this is right here.

Finally, one big draw for me, before I began to remove all the DRM from my Audible purchases (data sovereignty again) might have been Audible. Audible is a great--perhaps the only--service for audiobooks. And since you can crack the DRM, there's really no danger of not having what you bought in the future (remember this?). However, by itself, that would not have been a reason to buy an Echo, since I'm not an impulse-purchaser (but perhaps I should be!) and prefer to be very careful what I'm buying. Still, if you ha ve a subscription and like listening to audiobooks and dramas, that's a very cool use for a device like this.