Re: Amazon echo what does it do, and what do you need?

The app you want is called Amazon Alexa, and here's a link to the UK store.

The setup process is accessible, certainly, but I'm not sure about the interactions with Alexa via the app. I assume it's nothing you can't do by just asking Alexa directly, but as it's my brother's Echo, I don't know. However the setup process is your standard device-creates-network-to-which-you-join affair, and for that you'll use the app to get it going.