looking for smugglers 3 tips and strategy

I've been playing a lot of smugglers 3 recently, and I'm finding that I can't seem to complete any of the major objectives; winning the war, the treasure fleet, etc. Are there any specific strategies or ways of doing things that work better than others? Right now I'm basically just doing as many missions as I can, but I don't seem to be getting anywaere. Some tips/advice would be really appreciated.