Re: games through the ages?

The only things I've seen dealing with that theme have been rather lacking.
Rise of chaos website here   is pretty much your usual use turns to build up your empire and minimax resources for competition game, though it does develop technology from stoneage, through dark age and modern day.

There is then Time hunter see index which is a browser based hack n slash rpg which has you fight monsters in various time periods from prehistoric to futuristic.

There is also the four dimention mud, which I've not tried but has good reviews on mud connector and deals with time travelling through various zones, Website here

I know none of these are  exactly what your looking for, but  unfortunately we don't have even a standard empire building game yet, let alone one that spans so much technology and progress.