Re: trying to complete the ensin and soul trapper

When you say "restart the game" what do you mean? If you die, it's not exactly a restart, your still playing the same game even though it looks like you restart, indeed if you die enough times you'll be given some better starting equipment as a boost.
You only get the food option once at the very start of things, ie, no deaths, no data.

About the ship I'm not sure, since for me it just made it out and was fine, though admitedly I've only finished The Ensign once where as A dark room I've done three times.