Re: Training Centers

[[wow]] cae_jones. Thanks a ton for your awesome and fantastic reply. This gives me a much better idea on all the differences between the US and Europe.
I know you won't like my first recommendation, but here goes:
When living in such difficult place without much public transportation and many streets where you quickly can be lost, it is very important to learn slowly to talk to strangers and ask for help when needed. Yes, I know how difficult it can be to talk to strangers. But after you have had a few success on doing that, meeting nice people who have helped you finding what you need, you'll slowly realize that people are nice and friendly, and they are glad to help where ever they can. It sounds like, from your description, that this is needed because you're living in an area where it's quite difficult to navigate around as a blind person. If there are a lot of people walking around in the area, why not use that to your advantage?
2: My next suggestion is to get a lot of mobility training. As much as even possible. Learn to follow the streets, learn to cross streets where it's possible, try to get a picture of your area and how the streets goes around you, so you don't get lost that easily. Start by a small area, and slowly learn some more. Always use what you have learned previously as your starting point so you know where you are, and take one new street at the time. If you do it in this way, you'll increase your picture of the area and combine this with the new streets and new areas, making the picture bigger and bigger. If you can do that, you'll slowly start to combine the roots you have learned, and start to make your own roots, because you are starting to get a picture of the area.
You might find apps like Blindsquare very helpful to know what's around you. This app is simply fantastic. You might also find apps which can help you regarding to public transportations.
You might al so consider getting a guide dog in the future. However, a guide dog requires that you know where you are, and you can navigate around. In other words: If you get lost and confused, the dog will do the same and make the situration even more worse.
My suggestions takes a ton of practise and takes long time to learn. I have lived at my own place for like 7 years, and I'm still learning. It might take 1 or 2 years. People learn differently. It sounds like you're very much visually orientated, which is a really great thing regarding to orientation and mobility skills.
It takes a while but it's very much worth it. Don't give up but give it a try. You'll be much more happy if you can reach just some of my suggestions. I know you can do it...