pokemon crystal access keys not working

Hi all,
I'm having a strange problem.
I played this game fine the other day, yet now when loading the game, loading the script and either starting anew game or continuing a saved one, the navigation keys aren't working at all.  the text read is however, as well as the reading of text on screen.  my hnumlock key is definitely off, so I have no idea what the problem is.  I tried deleting and restoring the folder from a fresh zip file, but still the same issue.  any help would be greatly appreciated.