Re: Google mail and security to stupid levels!

Well, this does generally happen with Outlook since it happened to me and my friend many times when we set up outlook.
When I set my e-mail up on Mozilla thunderbird, I didn't get any message like "suspicious activity on your gmail account" or something like that. Neither did it send any similar message when I set it up on the mail app for iPhone. The only message I get from Google is, "New log in from x browser on Windows", or "new log in from iPhone".
Not sure if your wife has enabled any step verification method, but really I haven't experienced what you wrote above on post 1.
Facebook has actually introduced some very important security features; one I like is log in approvals and give permition to a device through a confirmation code from my phone number.