Re: Lament

TL;DR: The development is still on-going. But you can see for yourself how much progress they usually make in 1 year in their website Progress Reports. To put things in perspective, Lament broke off on their own development fork in 2008; in 2017 Lament is still in Alpha.
If you check their website: http://forums.ghostglass.net/updates.html

The development progress report shows how much has been added the last few years. Each year, there is a "major update" which consist of one or two new small features, some new items, and very rarely new areas.

I know which MUD Lament came from, but I don't want to name it and draw attention away from Lament, and I don't support the other MUD's philosophy of permadeath and strict hoarding of IC knowledge to the oldest and most elite players, and the general elitist atmosphere of that other MUD.

However, this "OtherMUD" ancestor of Lament has all of the systems and features that Lament has, plus LOTS more it doesn't have, such as:
- magic
- proper player housing
- a "full" world map (as in, all the gameworld lore-related places are fully developed, such as the cities, etc.); Lament only has 2 of the 6+ cities mentioned in its lore
- a lot more advanced craftables (e.g. full pieces of plate armor, log cabins, etc.)
- a full underwater content
- terraforming to some extent (mining)
- mounts (riding)
- a race that flies and supposedly some "aerial content"
- a race that breathes underwater

These are all features that Lament has supposedly been aiming for since they broke off in 2008. The one staff member who regularly visits and helps newbies is not one of the main coders, but she claims the development is still very much ongoing, and they have a lot of the above features in the pipeline for future updates.

The only difference b etween the two is the lore, races, and the fewer features that Lament has.

I've only been playing about a month, so I may not give the best perspective. But as Ironcross pointed out, he's been playing the game on/off since 2015, and he hasn't seen very major changes since when he started, but maybe he can explain better how much has changed.

For what is already there though, the game systems are very immersive and the crafting very comprehensive. So what's there is already enjoyable as a harsh survival, more of a sandbox experience.