Re: Recommended Audiogames for Newbies

Hi vcaparica.

One question I'd ask is what are you interested in in terms of genre?
If you haven't done so already, You might like to see this page which gives an explanation of the different genres of games we have, or at least the ones we use to catagorize games in the database anyway.

Rpg wise, we have paladin of the skies and manamon as you've tried, also entombed.
There are then many mmorpgs available that you can play in a web browser using your screen reader, and many good muds which are real time online games with text, though many have sounds.
there are the older dos rpgs like eamon deluxe and the japanese games like bokerano debuken though setting those up could be interesting.

Arcade wise there a huge selection from basic left right sterrioo targeting affairs like judgement day or troopanum 2, to more complex things like the adventure mode in crazy party, or the esp pinball games.
We then have a few racing sports and vehicle sim titles such as top speed and lone wolf, some stratogy games like castaways and parkboss, rythm action games like rhythm rage and beatstar, and even some sports games.

Actually at the moment the database has over 600 games in it and there are more to add, so asking for random recommendations is a tall order.

nevertheless is my personal cross section of if not quite top ten games, at least landmark games I've personally enjoyed in various catagories:

For fps swamp and shades of doom.
Shades is a classic and where I started which is likely why I enjoy it so much, though it perhaps is a lbit bare bones as compared to some later offerings, still definitely worth a play for history and atmosphere.

For stratogy games King of dragon pass on Ios, which is one part rpg, one part startogy and one part story and absolutely a must play.
I'd also recommend A dark roo m and it's sequel the ensign if you like rpgs, and the smugglers seriesfor pc , especially smugglers 5 if you enjoy turn based spaceship stratogy in a single player game.

for browser based games core exiles and puppet nightmares, one is a complex cooperative game with elements of stratogy and turn based rpg, the other a freaky version of Pokemon with evil puppets and mildly adult humour and a dark story line, not to mention possibly the most complex turn based battle system i've seen in a browser game.

Pretty much all of Aprone's games are worht a try, but I personally enjoyed Castaways most. The real art is to keep changing the jobs of your peasants to get things done faster.

For action and arcade titles, I have to say the esp pinball games  draconis are well worth a go, probably the best audio environments I've seen in an arcade title, also pipe 2 and hunter from bsc games just as games that are purely well designed though you might have trouble running them on a modern system.
Crazy party in both it's elements is a must play, I was also well impressed recently with beatstar.

For space invaders remakes, a game genre we've had plenty of, I probably would say Draconis Alien outback is a personal favourite, though most versions have something unique about them.
If you want audio rpgs, you've already played paladin of the skies and manamon, entombed is also well worth a try if you want a dungeon crawler.

Lastly for muds, alteraeon is well worth a play, indeed with it's more like a full on audiogame.mushZ client which is virtually a separate audio interface it's more of an audio rpg than a text game.

other muds I'd recommend include Cosmic rage, Frandom and Clok.

I'm not sure if that is ten, but speaking as someone who has literally had! to play almost everything there is out there available, it's surprising how much I can recommend when I get started, indeed one thing I will say about audiogames that because most games are the products of indi developers learning as they go, it's surprising how much creativity is put into  design.

hth.