Re: Best Youtube Playlist Downloader?

as far as downloading whole playlists goes, pontes would crash when I tried that too, even with the checkbox. When I have to download such playlists, I generally use youtube-dl, cmd version, though I have previously messed with the gui version and I overall think it's a great utility. The only thing about youtube-dl and even it's gui counterpart that I don't necessarily like is what you have to do to get a custom output template, especially with cmd version if you don't specify an output template it defaults to the video name, dash, then the video ID, which is a royal pain. It ignores playlists and uploaders altogether.
For those who wish to use youtube-dl, cmd line or gui version, this is an output template that is designed to download a playlist.
%(uploader)s/%(playlist_name)s/%(title)s.%(ext)s
If you want to ignore the uploader's directory, remove the "%(uploader)s/" part.
Here's a quick command line example that will extract to the best possible audio format, as youtube has adaptive streams, as well as using my playlist output template earlier.
youtube-dl -x -o "%(uploader)s/%(playlist_name)s/%(title)s.%(ext)s" url
obviously replace url with your youtube URL, this template works for playlists only. To download individual videos you would use this command line.
youtube-dl -x -o "%(title)s" url
Please note: as the -x option extracts the best possible format, you will get format variety, anything from m4a to mp3 to ogg to opus. You don't usually see flac or vorbis.
To choose exactly what format it extracts to, I.E. mp3, you would use this in the middle of the command line before the link, with spaces on either side.
--audio-format filetype
where filetype is one of flac, mp3, m4a, vorbis, aac, opus, or wav.
For those who may not know, vorbis is ogg.
All this is only rellavent if you're using the command line version of youtub e-dl, accept the output template stuff. You'll want to use options and output in the gui to set a custom output template to that. Also do note that the audio extractor requires ffmpeg and ffprobe, which you can find by googling "download ffmpeg windows binaries"
I hope you enjoy youtube-dl/youtube-dlg!
Do note that on some larger playlists the downloader might throw an error saying something about the site didn't respond in time, if it consistently throws this error on the same video in the playlist use the -i option to keep going if it encounters the error.