Re: Scanner recommendations

It's a good question, actually, and one I can't believe I have cause to ask in 2017, especially since things haven't really changed all that much in terms of choices. And yet here I am. What a coincidence! The only difference is that I'd consider the blindness solutions you list, because they do have a unique advantage: they can scan in the background, while you are reading. Yes, a small detail, and one I've regarded as mostly academic in the past, but since I have a SARA CE appliance and it must surely be replaced as it becomes obsolete (it's already been succeeded by newer hardware), it seems to me that the blindness solutions must be given due consideration.

But there are other choices. ABBYY FineReader worked well for Mac and Windows, when I last tried it. There are the smartphone-based solutions, like KNFB Reader, or others. There's the built-in OCR engine in Windows 8 or above, for which there are free TIFKAM apps that will use it.

But the essential question in 2017, after all these years, must still be: which is better, OpenBook or Kurzweil 1000? big_smile