text adventures co.uk

Okay, some people will have heard of this site ---- link here

It is exactly what it sounds like, a website where people can play text adventures, aka interactive fiction games online.
The games are created using an engine called Quest, or an online editer. Despite an earlier version of both the site and the quest program being accessible there was a long period where things certainly were not.

I cannot speak for the quest program or other text adventure creation tools, but I am pleased to report that at least with I.E. and Nvda, and presumably other web browsers and screen readers, the accessibility of the site and the games seems vastly improved.

Okay, so what should you expect here?

Anyone familiar with the standard interactive fiction games will know the type of thing, object manipulation puzzles such as get lamp, examine dwarf, hit box with spongecake etc. I do believe the quest parser is a little less   infinite than that found in a lot of zcode games, but since there are quest online versions of several if classics like hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy I could be wrong on this score.

Nevertheless, the access seemed fairly easy and at least some games even auto read incoming text. The only thing to be careful of are the inbuilt keyboard shortcuts up and down arrow which scroll through previously entered commands, so if your using Nvda, I'd recommend reading the page, hitting e for edit area, typing your command then hitting nvda space to go back to browse mode, ditto with supernova if you have automatic forms mode off (I'm not sure about Jaws though I assume it has something similar).

What I will say did tickle my fancy is the rpg category, since  your traditional parser heavy puzzle orientated interactive fiction community, textadventures.co.uk has a healthy selection of rpg games and even I believe some strategy.

These seem to need actual hot spot on text clicking as opposed to typing commands but should be familiar to anyone who knows gamebooks, indeed I can say I was having some fun with avast maties, a pirate battle game with lots of plundering and looting and pillaging Garrrr! big_smile.

Enjoy! I'll say I'm relieved this one has had the access treatment.