Re: Few ideas about fully accessible ide

Hi, so first I will say, I use ED sharp, which was built for screen readers, and does use a lot of the things you are talking about. I primarily use ED sharp for programming in java now, but I did quite a bit of python programming for a while as well.
it does provide auto indentation, which I use all the time. This feature can be turned on and off with a shortcut key, and you can change the level of indentations simply by tabbing or shift + tabbing regardless of where you are on the line.
It also provides the feature of jumping by indentation blocks, which is especially useful for python, but other languages too, as long as you are good about formatting your code. It can also jump by braces, for other languages that use braces to mark code blocks. It also provides a feature to compile your code, and if there is an error, it does move your coursor to the line of the error, and it allows you to see the error output in ED sharp itself, providing a temp text file for you to review the errors in. This does seem to have limitations that I haven't figured out how to get around yet, such as once you are compiling packages, but it works pretty well if you are just working with a few files and you aren't having to pass any additional command line arguments.

I use ED sharp, and like it a lot, but it does lack a lot of the features of more mainstream IDEs, which is fine for the most part, but IDEs can make certain things a lot easier to develop. I can't say I have experience with a project that I could not write using a basic text editor and the command line though, but my programming instructors have more or less told me that certain things like GUI development at least using java, it is recommended to use IDEs such as eclipse.

Anyways, ED sharp is not maintained anymore, and it is very hard to find, if you want it let me know.

The Quorum project also provides a add on to netbeans, which is slower, such as what you were talki ng about, but sodbeans, the add on for netbeans, does have a lot of code navigation features, at least last time I used it. It was also built to work with screen readers, and it provides a lot of features to make programming easier, however, it is a project still in work with a lot of bugs last time I used it, but the quorum team has made great progress. I haven't looked at quorum in about a year or so, so I don't know what new updates they have for sodbeans.

So, some programs already exist that have a lot of what you suggest, but nothing that is is light weight, and that is still maintained, ED sharp sounds like a lt like what you want, assuming you are using windows but it is not maintained anymore.

hope this helps,

TJ Breitenfeldt

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : TJ . Breitenfeldt via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : TJ . Breitenfeldt via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sanslash332 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : grryfindore via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : secretknight42 via Audiogames-reflector