Unable to connect to swamp

Hello everyone,
Last year I tried swamp on my pc and had a grand old time playing it. After a while, my 8-year-old pc, Old Wilma, began getting tired and I had to give her up. I now have a windows 7 laptop, and after hearing someone play swamp last night, I decided to give it a try. I downloaded swamp and the patch, registered the files that need to be registered due to this being a windows 7 computer, and started the game. I tried to log in as my own character, but a friend suggested trying a new character, as it is possible my old char was swiped. The game connects me to the server, but this is the oddest thing. I'm able to get an inventory, equip my axe and go into defensive mode. I am not, however, able to see my current location, view the player list, nor am I able to walk or use my weapons in any direction. Normally, we should be at the safe zone when we start a character, but the game tells me that there is no data available for my current location, and that I am alone, meaning there's no one around, when I know there were people on swamp last night. If I can get some assistance with this, I'd gladly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Melissa