Re: Monthly chat July 2017

@Simba,  I didn't know you were a horseman, that is cool, Mrs. Dark would be quite jealous big_smile.

@Aaron which part of the states is your relative in? Of course I now  various "in law" relatives in Pennsylvania which is rather nice.

@nocturnus, sorry to hear about the electricity bills. It's something my mum is a little more worried about than I am, since she's convinced that the heating bills for a new place will be higher (she has a bit of a thing about heating bills hence once why I froze my rear off as I was convinced using the electric fire would bankrupt me), however while it'll be a bigger place it's also in a less arctic part of the country so it should balance out.

Well the reason I've been out of communication is that I still haven't got my windows 10 laptop fixed and running (I will need to buy vocaliser for it since I don't really want to install Supernova just to get access to orphius and sapi voices are waaay too slow), so I was off the forum for a few days.

The modern house with the bath was indeed quite a bust, this is a shame as their estate agents were a lot nicer.
On the other hand the Georgian cottage looks amazing, lots of space, lots of personality and lots of power points big_smile. It even has a garden with an apple tree which is pretty cool as well as a huge kitchen and several spare rooms upstairs, one of which we'll probably refit as a sitting room for MRs. Dark. it also has lots of interesting nooks and crannies, from a cellar (we've been told never to go down there, I suspect that is where the zombies are), to a wonderfully odd bathroom which has a distinctly strange shaped sink.
The only slight bugger of course is that not only will we have to move  our stuff about 100 miles south (including changing phone numbers, internet connections etc), but also we'll need to talk to the landlord about some redecorating, as I really! can't be doing with cream coloured walls big_smile.

we would love to paint the front door green and get a numberplate reading "the Hewitt hole" (our last name being Hewitt), but whether we can square this with the landlord I'm not sure.

Other than lack of a bath, the place seems absolutely perfect, especially given proximity of the theatre and cinema. Newark is a small market town (very different from the American version), so is not a huge smelly city like Nottingham, which is just what we want, a place with train access where we can get around and where there is enough shops etc within walking distance, but not in the middle of the urban jungle. Also, it's clos ish to my parents being about 45 minutes away, but not literally next door, which I think will work out well as my parents are lovely but  tend to forget that I'm actually 34 years old and married, and not 14 big_smile.
On the plus side they pretty much have adopted Mrs. Dark as a surrogate daughter has worked out really well since apparently Mrs. Dark's last experience with in laws wasn't exactly positive.

The only slightly annoying part as far as the house goes is that now, we need to pay the estate agent £210, for the privilege of them doing massive amounts of background and credit checks on us to see if they want to recommend us to the landlord, who then has the infinite grace to perhaps reject or accept.
Admitedly, apparently if we don't get the house we get the cash back, still, this seems waaaay wrong to me,making us effectively pay for a lot of rather intrusive credit and life style checks just for the chance! we might get to  rent the place. I suppose it'll be okay if it happens, but still I'd just prefer to deal with the land lord directly and cut out all these middle management blood suckers.
The credit checks are also going a little beyond the bounds of decency, including apparently a home visit, (though they're waving this with us as we're council tenants and as we're at the other end of the country), yes, the estate agents get to inspect your current house to see if your fit to  to rent somewhere else, ---- for goodness sake what ever happened to  the customer always being right?  big_smile.

On the plus side the place  of course just what we want and if it works out that'll be good, albeit since it's rented rather than owned by the council  finances will be rather interesting for a while.

As to other things, I'm currently working on my review of Stardust by Niel Gaiman which hopefully will be up soon, I've also been putting together some needed db entries. Now I'm back at my flat I'd like to download the fully translated version of bockerano daibuken, partly because as it's now playable in English it probably needs a separate page from the Japanese version, and partly because I'm just plane curious, I'm also more than willing to fund the translation efforts with a donation too.
Gaming wise I've not  doing much other than continuing with crafting kingdom, though it is nice for a break.
Oddly enough though for  strange reason whenever  play the game seems to drain my battery super fast, as in about ten minutes. I have no idea why, certainly this doesn't happen with other games like the cog titles and certainly it doesn't happen when using my IPhone as a phone. unfortunately since phone upgrading is now even lower on the priority list thanks to prognosticating moving costs et, (not to mention waiting for an Iphone with galileo satnav connectivity) c there probably sin't much I can do about this as yet.