Re: Monthly chat July 2017

@saiteja that makes sense. vat in England isn't something we worry about, though I confess when it gets to large amounts it can be annoying. For example the firm we're going to  to use to cart all our furniture 100 miles south are charging £1200 plus £200 vat. that is about $1800 with $300 vat.
Luckily, I do have money I've saved over the years which I was aving for just this sort of eventuality, though I'm by no means rich still it's a pain.

Actually money is going to be a bit tight for a couple of years owing to rent issues, but it should even out soon enough and luckily I don't tend to use much cash, just on the odd game or dvd.
Apart from that we've been in a holding pattern recently. We nearly had a horrible disaster two nights ago when it seemed my sister, who has miatonic dystrophy and is is extremely disabled and has a mental age of three apparently was close to choking on fluid in her lungs. she was rushed  to hospital but was okay the next morning once she'd had some oxygen and antibiotics. It turned out alright though it lead to a very sleepless night and is needless to say rather worrying.

Btw, if anyone was wondering yes miotonic dystrophy is genetic, but my sister was adopted so neither my brother and I have it.

On a more positive note though, a few weeks ago (on the third of July), it was our first wedding anniversary. It turns out, completely unknown to me, Mrs. Dark actually had ordered me a rather fantastic present, which only arrived this week.
This is a set of sterling silver cufflinks in the shape of aolian pipes with a matching set of earrings for my lady.

That probably wont' mean much to most people, however anyone who has atric Rothvus Kingkiller books will recognize them, (and anyone who hasn't read rothvus really! should do so the books are fun).

the pipes are those aworded to anyone at the aolian who is an especially awesome musician, and of course my lady and I will wear them when we sing together.
Having just introduced her to Rothfus (which she absolutely devoured), she loved the idea of the pipes herself and also new I rather wanted them.
Interestingly enough, since Aolian pipes are never described in either Name of the wind or Wise man's fear, I did wonder what they look like, the answer is pan pipes, so even for anyone who hasn't read Rothfus, they're just a beautiful set of cufflinks, especially for a musician.

In other news I'm still reading T H White's the once and future king, though I've sent off reviews  for Gaiman's stardust and Sundiver by David brin which should hopefully be up on fantasybookreview.co.uk soon enough.
My lady and I are also reading The time Traveller's wife by Audrey Niffenegger.
This is a book I've heard about but never read and as I do enjoy stories that play with time it did strike me as an interesting idea.

The plot is very clever, the writing is at least adequate, but unfortunately I'm finding that far too much is idealised (including the protagonist being a rather stereotypical rich, beautiful ever popular girl and the guy being an itinerant but artistic bad boy), also there are points that henry is just plane dislikable which is not what you want in a romance, though that being said it's got some really nice moments, especially in terms of humour (indeed I never expected it to be quite so funny).

! oddly enough this is a reread for my lady and she says that while she's enjoying the book she's spotting a few more inequities now than when she read it the first time.

It'll be an interesting one to review I think since it has some extremely good bits, but also some fairly huge holes.

I also need to finish my newbie's mud guide which is half complete at the moment, but needs lots of questions adding into it.

So while things are rather quiet for now, they probably won't stay that way, especially with all the shenanigans with moving from transferring my phone connection and internet to  the place decorated as we want (landlord permitting).

Hope everyone else is still having a good July.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : saiteja via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mariaespino26 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Artmonkageria via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Artmonkageria via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Geraldtip via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Geraldtip via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : EarnestGlids via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : EarnestGlids via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Phil via Audiogames-reflector