Re: Blindcraft release, is it possible?

Hi guys,
so, I see I made a little furore here, so I will bring things to the right form.

First, about mouse and keyboard. I of course wish that all blind players encouter a playing with mouse, it is really fantastic and can not be defeated by any keys, because you do have more accuracy in your hand, than in pressing the keys. Hovever for first, this is mainly my opinion, others can have theyrs and second, I realise that many blind players doesn't have mouse and don't want to spend moneys to it, also when taking in fact, that it is very cheap game controller. So, Blindcraft will be of course ready also for this kind of players, hovever using of mouse will be possible too for those from us, who wants it.

About Survive the wild, this is for another topic, hovever it do have difference from Blindcraft, or few differences. For first, rotation is very important. Of course, normally person doesn't have compass, but he does have eyes. So he don't need to know where is north, south or west, he know where is infront, where left and right. Hovever this is not case of stw. If you rotate yourself in stw to direction different than 0, 90, 180 or 270, you are getting lost, because your orientation is totally broken, and your can not fix it. Sighted person, when he turns to some specific angle always returns back, knowing where to rotate from trees around, from mountains in farness etc. Heh, I want to see you how you find your original direction in stw from direction of tree.
In Blindcraft, this is possible because it do have full 3d. And this is again a difference from STW. I am not talking about audio now, I am talking about the surround. Tree is a good example. Let's compare what do means tree in STW and what do means tree in Bc. If you do have tree in Stw, you can climb there, you can cut it, you can break your bike on it. Hovever, when you climb that tree, you aren't climbing real tree. From programs side, there is a n object called tree on the map, and based on this program allows you to make your z coordinate higher, climb on it. Hovever there is no real tree, just one object, with few parameters. For this reason I am calling Stw simulated 3d. When you take tree from Blindcraft, that is not object. I sayd it in other topic already, Bc doesn't know, that there is tree. Because this tree is real, it was constructed in generation process from wood and leaves, and result of this building you see when going near it. So, you can look with your camera to the real crown and see, how it is rotated, next fix your angle with it.

There are more good examples, for example notice simple fact, that when you are moving on landscape of Stw, in most cases you are still on one layer of something, grass, stone etc. and under you is nothing or air. Of course, there are exceptions, for example in parts where you must climb up, for example in mountains. In Blindcraft, this is different, all mountains, all hills and all objects are real, built from tile to tile by generation engine, because you may want to mine in it, and it will be bad, if you fall to the nothingness after digging one block to the ground.

Of course, I am not saying by this that Stw system of map processing, and its system of objects is wrong or bad. Do not take also my words like I want to laud my game or something like it, that really isn't purpose of them. I am saying only in what is Blindcraft different, I think we did have many clons of games before, so I want to show in what is my game new.

@Lirin: I absolutely disagree with you. Swamp is best ambienced game I ever saw, not meaned to amount of tracks, but for reality of ambiences placement, Aprone placed them on many parts, hovever he leaved also places where is quiet or only small wind or something, that is very realistic, in real world you also do not have ambiences everywhere. I think also you played Swamp only few minutes, or you wasn' t very successful, because declaration that there is nothing on maps is absolutely out of reality. Not saying this with emotions, it is simple fact. For example map multi1, there is large shop, Gass station, river, bridge crossing it, factory, church, about 5 streets crossing full map and all its mainpoints, what more you want on a map? Of course this is not all, hovever I think it's enough to say, that Swamp maps are full of things, it is not true they are empty. Only reason why you may have this feeling is, that you get lost before the safezone and needed much time to return back, if not get killed. I don't mean this as critique, it is absolutely normal for beginners, do you know how many times have I get lost? Hovever only on beginning, after I adapted myself to map, it was great.
Yeah, and before you get used in map, it feels very large to you, hovever after it it is small, you can believe me. smile

You sayd too, that when playing swamp, you feel as playing inaccessible game. This is also very important thing, I will describe why.  Are you feeling, when you are moving outside, in real world, that you are in accessible surface? No. Also when you say yes, answer is no. Only things, that do accessibility of outside world for you are sounds of trafficlights, sounds of water, voices and steps of people etc. And the same things are only accessible points also in Swamp, that's the reason why I love it. There is no direct navigation as in other games, no inditions what is where, like in reality, only compensation for live people is, that you have zones, so you know, where exactly you are. And there are also beacons, replacing asking of people, hovever similar as you need to ask only once, also in Swamp you do not need beacons when you know, what is where, you are independent. That simple fact, that I run the street, hear bing from church on m y left, I turn thatside and find wall, next going around by ellipse, not direct lines as in Stw or redspot to get to the parking place, that all makes Swamp unique for me.

By this last part, I don't want to convince you, that Swamp is also best for you, because it matters opinion, someone wants realistic game, someone sacrifice it for easyer play. Hovever this elliptic movement and minimal accessibility thrusting I want also in Blindcraft. I am not that good programmer like Aprone, but I will try it. If you don't like this game style, then don't play Blindcraft. I will try to make optionable surface for players, who wants easyer play, but I don't know, how successful I will be, because it is really hard to make more things in fully 3d surface at once. Hovever I will keep in mind also players like you, because I want to make Blindcraft for everyone.

And don't scare, my games are never unplayable for accessibility reasons, because I am totally blin d too. big_smile

@Visualstudio: thanks for recommendation, I have feeling I heared about these phisic engines, hovever I don't remember for what they were used, I must read something about it on the net. About audio, I am still experimenting with few things, for example hrtfs from Magurp, hovever I am still surprised how also 2d audio works. Someone told here, that 3d game can not be without 3d sound, hovever when I playing bc, I am encountering, that it is not true at all. Only when recording, on it is very hard to tell what is from infront, what from behind etc. hovever when I am playing it directly, I haven't problem with it, because pressing of keys is enough for my brain to recognize accurate location, that you may hear also on my second demo, I assure you, that there was no hole in my building and that I knew all the time what I am doing, also now in survival, when I need cut down the tree for taking a wood, crafting items from it and when I must make place in forest for my house model, I haven't any problems. So for now I am closing audio question for later, I am not excluding there will be situation, where 3d audio will be needed, but it isn't currently, so I will start solving it when I encounter some problems, also for this reason I am using wrappers, so all that is needed to do is modify one file, and full audio system in game is changed. I will also try to solve it after release to make higher playing confort, now I need time to more important stuffs.

Best regards

Rastislav

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ankr098 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ankr098 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Giovani via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Giovani via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ankr098 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ankr098 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : hadi . gsf via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : hurstseth405 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ankr098 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Giovani via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Eleniendord via Audiogames-reflector