What do i need to get started with python on both mac and windows?

Hi all
I'd like to learn python and try my hand at making games for myself and others in this community to enjoy. I use both mac and windows and would like to learn python as i've heard pretty much only good things about it. As far as coding experience for me goes, I took a computer class last semester in school and learned basic coding for basic stamp v 2.5, its basicly a language that you use when coding hardware like what buttons to press and what speakers do what, robotic stuff, but not really good for games although I did build and create a simple reaction game with this for my final exam.
However, going back to python, what version is best for screenreaders? My system does not already have it, my pc at least, haven't checked my mac but I dout it would either. What version is needed, also what libraries allow me to do cross platform coding? Also, does anyone on here use IDEs? If so, what ones do you use? Also as i'm new to all of this, if somebod y wouldn't mind it explaining it a bit, IDEs and libraries and such, that would help. Thanks