Re: I want to start using reaper, some questions

Well, since gold wave is only 50 bucks and from what I understand it functions like audacity or garageband, yes reaper is way better than gold wave.
I've been thinking about trying either pro tools or reaper on the mac, and have looked into what i'd need as far as reaper goes. Since you mentioned gold wave i assume your using windows as I don't think there was ever a mac version, but for reaper you'll need osara as well as the sws extentions.
There is a site called reaperaccess.com, and although its slightly out dated as it still says you need reaccess, it does have the sws extentions and does have tips on reaper on both mac and windows. Whether those tips are any use to us using osara instead of reaccess, I honestly don't know.
Another good thing with reaper is the 60 day trile. If you install it and find that you really don't like it, just uninstall, no money lost. Also, you probably shouldn't brag about this if you do it, but af ter that trile runs out, it doesn't actually stop your use of the program, it simply gives you a message when launching reaper that can be disregarded if you for what ever reason don't wan to pay. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do this, that is up to you. I wouldn't, but some people do.