Re: Contemplations of A Soon-to-be Adult

when I was 10-15, everyone said how old I was for my age. I more readily got on with adults than anyone around my own age, someone even told me when I was ttwelve I came across like an 18 year old.

When I was 18-22 everything seemed to be going right, the world and I were in step I was doing things that I liked and meeting people I could get on with.
Three years on and 25 and I was feeling like I was older than God and absolutely past it, that all the good stuff I'd had had gone west.

now at 35 I'm here, in a new house, a new town and actually married something I'd have never expected to happen, about to start doing some different things with my life.

I say this because one thing I've learned,  that the older you get, the less biological and psychological age mean.
Childishness, i.e. selfishness, shallowness, thoughtlessness as Jeff said are possible at any age, just last week I met an old witch in her  who acted like&n bsp; a spoiled little girl (and no, her mental faculties were all present, she was just an unpleasant person).

On the other hand, I can think of fifteen year olds I've met who show astounding amounts of wisdom.

Myself, I tend to believe that innocence, the ability to take joy in things around you  is something you earn. Not all children are born with it by default (believe me I've seen some right miserable little gits), and certainly not all adults manage it either, indeed many don't.

It's the same with my lady and I. sometimes we're like a pair of giddy teenagers in love, doing silly things together and laughing, sometimes, we're like an old married couple who've  been married for sixty years   one and a half.

In the end, 18 is just a number. Yeah, it's the point that a lot of governments have decided you can legally get married and drink alcohol and what not, it's what you do that counts an d where your upbringing has put you, and that's up to you to decide, which is true of everyone of any age.