Re: Why I am 100 percent against schools for the blind

Time to weigh in, I guess...
I was mainstreamed all the way through... I'm glad I was.  I graduated with honors in the advanced placement program class of 2006 and have never looked back.  The very few times I visited the school for the blind in my neck of the woods I was shocked by how little excellence I saw coming out of it.  I honestly felt like my overall self worth dropped the longer I stayed there.  No, you don't cross streets like this, you do it like this.  Listen, you feel those little bumps on the middle of the road?  You follow those!  You need this kind of cane!  don't hold your lunch tray that way, hold it like this!  what?  Is that an argument?  what kind of logic is that?  You carried your brailler with you in school?  We have braillers in every classroom!  No, you cannot stay in your room all the time, by yourself, you need to interact with all these other blind people... You what?  they're just like you; never mind that they're rocking and you're not... Never mind that they're gouging out their eyeballs and you're not... You've never heard of such a thing?  Where are you from?  Oh that blind guy touching you all over?  He's just searching for insert random thing he lost 20 seconds ago; all of them here do it that way... Not you?
All of the worst stereotypes, and much, much more... No, freaking, joke, because in a school for the blind, many of the students are going to have other issues that can't and won't easily be explained away.  while you're likely to encounter this at mainstream schools you'll usually do so in self contained classes and you're aware that said classes have special needs students, so it doesn't come as a shocker when some random someone or another comes up to you and starts touching your hair or trying to talk to you in what sounds like another language, occasionally dropping in a bunch of weird noises and mannerisms you can hardly find a purpose for.
I could go deeper and relate a kagillion horror stories, but I honestly don't see the point.  You either love segregation of this nature or you just flat out hate i, but if your parents sent you off to one of these rather than trying to homeschool you themselves, you sincerely have my sympathy.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : shotgunshell via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bookrage via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : shotgunshell via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : shotgunshell via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BlindJedi via Audiogames-reflector