Re: Tts experiments at Blastbay

So I decided to try this on my Vinux since it runs Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, which is what you seem to have, and since it is on a virtual machine, I could probably do it that way rather than having to pay more to increase my server's RAM, though I might have to as my web site grows and PHP is more on demand.
For a few hours, @KevinRoberts, who turned out to be a great mentor and role-model for getting people started with Linux, and I spent some time working on this. I am thankful for having him show me the basics to get started. Now I have my own VPS and a LAMP stack, plus a few other things which I hope to make use of some day. Anyhow, going back on topic. Together we went ahead and attempted to do as much as we could by checking off the items on Philip's list, and we learned that there were somethings we needed to troubleshoot.
The first thing you will have to do, assuming that you are using Ubuntu's or Debian's Package Manager, is
sudo apt install csh zsh vim libncurses5-deb git gcc make
When I use the git clone commands, I like to have the folders created in a folder called ~/festival/
git clone --recursive http://github.com/festvox/speech_tools
git clone --recursive http://github.com/festvox/flite
git clone --recursive http://github.com/festvox/festvox
git clone --recursive http://github.com/festvox/festival
And finally, look for the tar.gz at http://sptk.sourceforge.net/
You can also use the wget command if you can find a direct URL to download the tar file.
tar xvf SPTK-*.tar.gz
We also learned that if we download any of the above repositories using the Windows Git Shell, our formats will be beyond useless to work on Linux, so it is imperative that you use the git commands within the Linux machine itself.
Now that we have the following items in our festival folder: festival, festvox, flite, speech_tools, and SPTK, we need to configure, make, and install each of these.
cd festival
./configure
make
sudo make install
cd ..
Use CD to go to the next folder.
Repeat process for the remainder of the folders.
Notice that in one of them, there is no target to make install, so we believe that nothing has to be installed. This was the Festvox folder.
This is as far as we got, but we hope to figure out more within the next few days.
Hope this little tutorial helps someone get started. :-)