Re: email clients: TB is making me a rather mad mad man

Thunderbird is not sluggish for me at all on Windows 10 Creators Update, 64-bit, the Pro edition. I believe if you have a decent computer (anything with more than 4 GB of RAM and preferably an SSD, although Thunderbird also worked fine for me on my former Windows 7 Lenovo laptop which had a regular HDD), it should be able to run like a breeze. However, you have to make sure your local account is accessing the server through Imap and not Pop3 (nobody should use that any more, anyway), that you have disabled many of the toolbars and pannels in the view menu, such as the quick filter one, that you are displaying messages in new windows rather than pannels, that you have disabled the feature that makes it possible for Windows to search through the full text of messages, and quite a couple of other things like that. Some of them are hidden relatively deep down in the huge Options screen and they can be tiny things that might be easy to miss but making sure you have them set the proper way actually makes a whole world of difference. Many of these only make navigation more tedious than it needs to be by adding controls into the window that a blind user probably never needs anyway, but others are a lot worse than that, having a serious impact on the software's performance when used in conjunction with a screen reader. So, to sum it up, after spending some time with TB making a proper initial setup, it does pay off really well in the end.

Lukas