Re: Synthetic sounds

Hi. How nice, that there's still some interest in oldschool standalone sound synthesis software!
Well, before vst started spreading like virus and killing everything in the way, there were all kinds of funky little proggies for sound synthesis. Yeh, not all of them were good for screen reader users, but some still worked incredibly. As most of this kind of software hasn't been updated for many years, it can get pretty fiddly trying to make stuff work under modern operating systems and hardware, but fortunately not every program is really all that picky and can still cope.
There was one especially good thingie, called the Ts404. It is a quite traditional subtractive synthesizer with two oscillators, a multimode filter, an lfo and an adsr envelope. In addition it has delay and distortion effects, a 16 step sequencer and can run upto four instances inside one program. It doesn't do exactly realtime output recording, unless something like Audacity or other audio editor is used to capture it's output, instead it saves patterns as .raw files. Fortunately most audio editors are capable of working with those and converting to other formats. Ts404 sounds somewhat cold comparing to modern virtual analog modelling, but it's still probably one of the best tools for beginning blind synthesists to learn on, at least for me and some of my friends it definitely was. Interface is based on classic standard sliders, comboboxes and checkboxes, so works well with screen readers. One odd thing is, that with NVDA some, if not even all the sliders work in reverse, but it doesn't interfere with program's working in any way, just a little concideration.
As it's quite difficult to find ts404 on the web nowadays, I'm giving a dropbox link here. In the archive, there is obviously the program itself, some little documentation, a collection of short waveforms in .raw format again, as they can be loaded into the oscillators as waveforms and a big collection of user patches gathered over the years and including many of my own, some of which have even been used in my productions.
So yeah, happy exploring!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jyizyojneldbo … 4.zip?dl=1