Re: Affordable Braille Displays: Cost vs Quality

I totally forgot about the Pie... LOL
Though I was under the impression that wireless mice and keyboards were quite reliable now a days...

If it would truly bring the cost down than I guess I'd be fine with assembling it, but I don't think most people would spring for that. The option would be nice though.
Your still talking about tiny screws, reading through instructions, and perfectly centering small components, not losing any of them in the mean time, even without any soldering.
Unless you've done that kind of thing before, than you will be either pretty intimidated, or need a willing sighted person handy to help you (not exactly a confidence booster) plus they might just fuck it up not knowing enough about braille displays anyway.

As for case customization, I've never understood the appeal for most of that stuff, but I know several blind people who do, and I could see individual names (for differentiation) and or the name slash logo of the institution in braille being useful for larger orders.
Different case materials and styles may be useful too, for different price points and needs.
E.G. hard case with full protection, rugged  carabiner loop and optional waterproofing, larger soft case with padded shoulder strap and optional side pockets, case with adjustable stand, wrist rest, and small pockets, slim leather case with brass clasp, ETC.
Beyond the basic gray, dark blue, and black, I don't think much color choice would be necessary (for obvious reasons tongue) but you could see about the demand for it later on.

The pins thing well, honestly I couldn't say, it never even occurred to me to be honest. O.o
Their is always a trade off between overwhelming the customer with choices and allowing businesses (and some individuals) to customize units to their liking.
Ambutec is a good example of how to do it right, in my opinion.
If their are any true potential benefits to non standard pin shapes, than I would allow people to customize the main product, rather than choosing from multiple models, and I would have an easily accessible breakdown of the advantages of each choice available as well.
Otherwise it frankly just seems like a frivolity, though an admittedly pretty cool one. LOL